maandag 2 mei 2011

Kelly and...Now What?

Monday morning, 8:45 AM. On my way to class (a little late), I once again realized how much I hate early classes. Really, I’m not a morning person. I quickly slipped into the classroom, muttered a “sorry” to the professor and sat down, praying that a cup of coffee would magically appear on my table. Nothing happened.

After a while, the class (one of my Literature courses) engaged in a discussion about the position of writers. To what extent are authors a product of their generation, and to what extent can they transcend the problems of their time and provide readers with refreshing views on the situation? Of course, as a writer, this question interests me very much. However, at the same time, I don’t exactly see myself as a sort of role model. I don’t believe that if someone wants to hear the voice of my generation, they’ll think of me.

Then I felt my cell phone buzz. A text message. (Yeah, I wasn’t exactly a model student either today…) And that’s how I heard that Osama Bin Laden had been shot.

As soon as I came home I checked facebook to see the reactions of my friends – the children who grew up in the aftermath of 9/11. Some were really excited, others disappointed that he won’t be punished for his actions. I talked about it with my roommate. I remembered a conversation in London last week, about the way we’re used to exhausting security checks in airports even though these measures are still pretty recent.

Of course it’s a good thing that this villain won’t trouble us anymore, but we shouldn’t forget that he’s not the only one. He was but one pawn in a very complex game. Only time will tell what’s going to happen to global politics now; only time will tell what’s going to happen to you and me. But I am absolutely sure that years from now, we’ll still remember this day.
Kelly Meulenberg (class of 2012) studies Arts & Humanities, focusing on Literary Studies and Theater & Media Studies. She is also a writer and filmmaker. Other passions include music, food and traveling.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten