maandag 2 mei 2011

Ilse Feels Whelmed

It's hardly my favorite movie (though I enjoy watching it when I'm feeling down) but '10 Things I Hate About You' does have one of the better questions ever asked in films; 'I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?'. A small bit of internet research told me that yes, it is possible. 'Whelmed' apparently is an archaic, somewhat poetic word and means 'submerged' or 'overcome'. Overwhelmed, then, is a hyperbole while underwhelmed is an understatement. If that's the truth – the Internet never lies – then I feel terribly whelmed at the moment, as in, there's so much stuff to do at this particular moment but I know I can handle it. I am submerged in homework, but as the Zeeuwse motto says; 'I struggle and emerge' ('Luctor et emergo'). I am whelmed. Interestingly, the answer to the question in the films is 'I think you can in Europe.' Well. Isn't that the truth.
Ilse is a second year social science student with an interest in law and law enforcement with an interest in many different sorts of media.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten