dinsdag 19 april 2011

Maud and the Public Apology to Barrel

Dear Barrel,

I still remember the first time we met. I wasn't at RA yet; I was visiting a friend. She took me to see you. I was so charmed by your whole dark, grungy, underground atmosphere, by the general idea of all these students gathering in their own student bar to dance and chat and, yes, drink away their stress. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, and we did, too.

Despite this positive first experience, I haven't visited you often during my own time here. Sometimes it's because I have class at 8.45 the next morning. Sometimes it's because I'm simply too busy. And I have to admit that sometimes I just don't feel like it. Ask me to stop by Barrel and my instinctive reaction is to scoff. Barrel? Barrel is either deserted or far too busy. Barrel is a bit of a guilty pleasure, like the hometown disco your circle of friends has long outgrown but sometimes gravitates back to because of the €1,- beer. Every once in a blue moon you find yourself there, but you're always slightly embarrassed to be seen among the throngs of fourteen-year-olds who managed to get in somehow. When you run into someone you know, both of you shrug apologetically. Yeah, I don't know how I ended up here either.

But, my dearest Barrel, I was wrong. You're not like that, and I owe you an apology.

Barrel, I'm sorry for never giving you a fair chance. I'm sorry for being part of the reason you're so quiet sometimes. I'm sorry, and I hope you will allow me to redeem myself. Because, dear Barrel, you see, I've been visiting you more often these past few weeks and I have (re)realized that you're pretty damn amazing. Your drinks are cheap, your couches are comfy, and when there are people around you pretty much guarantee a good time.
The problem is that people are not always around, especially not early at night. But staying at home will never fix that. What will? Going to the movie night and hanging around afterwards for a beer. Getting a group of friends together and meeting in Barrel instead of the Sev. Nodding rather than scoffing when someone asks me to stop by. That will fix it.

You've got so much potential, Barrel, and I'm one of the people who are starting to realize that more and more. I promise you I'll be more positive about you from now on. I'll come over more often. I'll try to make other people do so, too. Because when it comes down to it, it's great that we've got our own student bar here, and we should make as much use of it as possible.

Yours truly,
Maud
My name is Maud and I am a second-year student of Linguistics & Literary Studies. These are a few of my favorite things: books, sneakers, loud music, and coffee.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten