maandag 11 april 2011

Ilse and Spring

I love spring. I love every season. I love winter when there's snow and all canals are frozen over; I love summer when barbequeing with friends and family (I'm sorry you vegetarians, your summer experiences just aren't comparable to those of us omnivores); I love fall when coming home all soaked and then drinking hot cocoa and sitting near the radiator (better yet, a fireplace) reading a good book; but most of all, I love spring. I remember having to write a thing on something I loved last year and I wrote about spring, also because it was spring. I wrote that spring was uncomparable. One of the comments was 'really?' or something of the kind. Yes, really. There is nothing quite like those first few days that you can go outside without an overcoat. Like wearing a skirt without freezing your legs off. The last few weeks of winter are gruesome, with everyone being irritable. Fellow students just aren't themselves, parents are more than concerned about everything (and then not the good kind of concerned) and instructors just don't seem able to deal with things the way they do throughout the rest of the year. So when spring comes around and everyone's starting to feel happy again, when the Market square is again filling up with people who enjoy themselves in our beautiful sunny Zeeuwse city of Middelburg, when going outside requires shades and when popping out to get something at the supermarket no longer requires you to put on a far too heavy winter coat, that's when I'm feeling particularly happy with all that's around me. Last year I hummed 'Here comes the sun' for weeks when spring finally came around. This year? 'The best is yet to come'. After all, we still have the glorious days of summer ahead.

Ilse is a second year social science student with an interest in law and law enforcement with an interest in many different sorts of media.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten